Large Loss Property Field Adjuster (Northwest Indiana or Southwest Michigan)
At American Family Insurance Claims Services (AFICS, Inc.), we're embarking on a transformation of our claims capabilities that will put customers at the center of what we do best – protecting and restoring their dreams when they need us most.
We're leveraging our expertise, technology and new ways of working to actively reinvent one of America's largest industries—creating positive impact that empowers our customers, communities, and company to thrive. We are problem solvers who ask critical questions and consistently tackle challenges big and small. Together, we disrupt what's expected of insurance.
Lead level role that investigates and maintains highly complex property claims. Determine liability, secure information, reviews coverages, arrange appraisals, and settles claims. Demonstrate experience to perform all areas of claim adjustment activities with the highest degree of competency and independence. This role reports to a Large Loss Manager.
Compensation Minimum:$84,000 / year
Compensation Maximum:$139,000 / year
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.
• Investigate origin and cause of high exposure claims by contacting the appropriate parties including insureds, claimants, agents, attorneys, contractors, experts, special investigation unit, other adjusters, public personnel, etc. Checks for prior claims and recognizes environmental exposures.
• Participate in High Damage Reviews (HDR) to address coverage issues and exposure. Handle claims on a good faith basis.
• Handles both 1st party and 3rd party claims under multiple policy types and numerous endorsements.
• Conduct on-site inspections when needed, evaluates damages and handles claim negotiations with insureds, claimants, attorneys, public adjusters.
• Respond to customer inquiries, makes appropriate decisions, and closes file as needed.
• Interpret and determine policies, leases, by-laws, declarations, articles, and contract coverages and applies to all parties for assigned losses. Interprets claim history coverages.
• Make independent decisions but recognize when assistance is needed.
• Proactively provide all parties with claim process and status as appropriate; answers questions or redirects to other areas.
• Serve as a mentor and subject matter expert for less experienced adjusters.
Specialized Knowledge & Skills Requirements
• Demonstrated ability to handle 1st and 3rd party, multi-line claims across our operating territories.
• Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service.
• Demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively handle complex claims.
• Extensive knowledge of policies and endorsements coverages.
• Successfully applied knowledge of each phase of the claim handling process.
• Must pass bilingual assessments in reading, understanding, writing, and conversing fluently in both Spanish and English.
• Valid driver's license required plus an acceptable driving record.
• Obtain state specific property casualty claims licensing as required.
• Up to 10%.
• Catastrophe travel up to 75% as applicable.
• Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like. This position may require employees to visit areas that have a higher hazard than a typical office such as customer homes, body shops, or other locations.
• Moving self in different positions to accomplish tasks in various environments including tight and confined spaces.
• Adjusting or moving objects up to 50 pounds in all directions.
Advanced Xactimate experience required.
5 or more years experience handling field property personal lines claims required.
Prefer someone who has handled claims over $50,000.
You will work in the field and handle complex homeowner property field claims in the Northwest Indiana or Southwest Michigan area. You must be located within that area (Valaparaiso, South Bend, Gary, Lafayette, Muenster, Crowne Point, Kalamazoo). A company fleet vehicle is provided with the position.
The candidate(s) selected for this role will be employed by AFICS, Inc. (American Family Insurance Claims Services, Inc.), an affiliate of American Family Mutual Insurance Company, S.I.
o Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
o Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
o Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visa) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements listed above. Skills can be used in many different ways, and your life and professional experience may be relevant beyond what a list of requirements will capture. We encourage those who are passionate about what we do to apply!
We provide benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, 9 paid holidays and a paid time off program (23 days accrued annually for full-time employees). In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Insurance Group benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws pertaining to non-discrimination, non-harassment and equal opportunity. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.