Our client, the Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Foundation, seeks a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker for its Assistant Controller
Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. believed that to make effective change, efforts should make an impact from the start yet carry long into the future. To do both, he earmarked a portion of his estate and the eventual sale of his beloved Buffalo Bills to fund his namesake foundation.
The Foundation staff strives to reflect the organization's five stated values: Innovation, Collaboration, Outcomes Focus, Humility, and Joy.
The Assistant Controller's primary responsibilities include maintaining accounting records, investment accounting for assets under management, and assisting the Controller in all aspects of the accounting and finance function. This includes analyzing and preparing periodic and ad hoc reports for the organization, its trustees, and committee members and providing support to the program areas of the Foundation.
The Assistant Controller will:
- Operate proactively at both tactical and strategic levels.
- Be self-reliant, a good problem solver, and results-oriented.
- Demonstrate efficiency with all resources, including time, effort, and finances.
- Understand and integrate technology into finance operations to strengthen systems.
- Be a collaborative co-worker, seeking input from others to produce the best outcome.
- Place emphasis on people and relationships.
- Have an interest in and understanding of institutional investing.
- Assist with the planning and responsible for document preparation and assembly for the annual financial statement audit.
- Assist in preparing and assembling documents for Forms 990-PF and 990-T and all other tax compliance as needed.
- Prepare the annual filing of Form 1099 for vendors.
- Assist with budget preparation by producing supporting documentation and justification for proposed budget items, and provide regular reports and reconciliations of budgets and forecasts.
- Maintain the general ledger, including posting entries, allocations, review, and closing activities while supporting the Controller with analysis as required.
- Reconcile monthly investment accounts and prepare journal entries for portfolio transactions.
- Prepare periodic budget, investment, cash flow, expenditure reports, and other board and committee meeting deliverables as needed.
- Draft monthly financial statements.
- Administer and support payroll and employee benefit functions.
- Manage the roll-forward and maintenance of deadlines and other commitments in the compliance calendar.
- Assist with technology implementation and process improvement projects.
- Serve as a thought partner to the Finance Team regarding efficiency, best practices, and appropriate internal controls.
- Assist with special projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Required: 8+ years in managing finance and accounting.
- Required: CPA and Bachelor's Degree in Finance and/or Accounting.
- Strongly Preferred: Experience in investment accounting.
- Preferred: Experience in accounting with a private foundation or nonprofit organization.
In addition to competitive benefits and compensation packages, the Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Foundation provides a collaborative and mentoring environment with a team that genuinely appreciates helping the community.
The Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Foundation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.